When a person feels that their credibility is hurt due to false statements made on any social media portal, like Twitter, Facebook, or in media, it is known as social media defamation. In such a condition, you can go ahead and file a complaint against the party or the person.
In today’s time, everyone is aware of the popularity of social media channels. Social media channels are used for a lot of reasons, and even companies ask for feedback from common people through these channels. Well, at times, some competitors can make false statements about the company, which can affect its reputation. Basically, two types of defamation are there, slander and libel.
When a false statement is made in a written form, it’s libel, and if it’s in verbal mode, the name is slander. Social media is a huge platform, so circulating wrong news does not take much time. Such incidents are rising in Australia and if you have encountered one, go ahead with social media defamation law.
Can defamation affect you?
Yes, a defamatory statement can have a huge impact on your professional life. Suppose you are a business owner, and one of your clients has made a defamatory comment regarding the company’s dishonesty. In such an instance, you will start losing your clients, and they will no longer trust your work.
As soon as you start losing clients, there is a loss in revenue generation. Get in touch with defamation lawyers as their role is to get you compensation or help you out in this situation.
What do you need to do?
The things that you need to do in case of defamation of character on social media and they are:
- It’s important to act on the things first as in social media; the information can spread in no time. Therefore, if you take quick action, you will experience lesser damage. Appoint a lawyer as his role is to guide you in the right direction.
- Since it’s a complicated issue, take some help from Defamation lawyer Perth WA. It’s a bit tricky, and everyone might not know the legal and technical issues. The lawyers can guide if they can claim for a lawsuit and how they need to do it.
- It’s essential to understand to what extent the news have reached or how many people have read the false statement. If it’s in email form, then not many people will get to know. But on social media platforms, people who are not availing of your services and products can also get to know about it. As a result, the reputation of the company is affected.
- Find out who is involved in spreading the false statement, which is why you need to experience losses. Take out information, like the internet service provider, the author, search engines, and social media networks.
- Make sure that you have proof of the statement being published on the internet. Otherwise, you will not get compensation without providing proof.
- A notice will be sent by the lawyers to the parties who have done such things. With that, you can see that the post has been removed from the website.
- However, if you wish to remove the defamation, you can ask the client to do anyone the below things.
What can you expect?
Choose the defamation lawyers Perth who will recommend the alternatives that you can ask the person who has done this. A notice will be prepared by the lawyer, regarding the statement that he or she has made that is defamatory. Around 28 days will be provided to the offender to give a response to the notice, indicating if he or she has rejected or accepted it. You can ask the person to do anything from the list mentioned here:
- Publish an apology for the statement he or she has made.
- Remove the defamatory statement from the social media portals.
- Ask for compensation for the losses the company has undergone.
- He or she needs to promise that no defamatory statement will be made in the future. In case any such things happen again, action will be taken against him or her.
However, if you feel that the damage that the defamatory statement has caused is huge, you can go for court proceedings. Accordingly, appoint a lawyer and prepare a draft and send it.
With the increase in the use of the internet, many people are misusing it. Some companies also issue a defamatory statement to affect the company’s growth. Social media has evolved throughout the years, and it can be used both in good and bad ways. In case you experience any such circumstances where anyone is making a defamatory statement, get in touch with the lawyers. The top certified and experienced lawyer will guide you through the difficult times and help you fight for what’s right!